Retro finger foods are some my favorites: Tasty bites that are easy to make, and nicely compliment anything from picnics to cocktail parties. When I was a kid, Ham Roll Ups were frequently a part of my family’s New Year’s Eve festivities. Deli ham was spread with a mixture of cream cheese and horseradish, rolled up, sliced, and artfully arranged on a plate. Although this original recipe is still scrumptious, I’ve decided to update the recipe and make Prosciutto Roll Ups with a few fun fillings.
Pick Your Pickles
Pickles are a typical addition to ham roll ups for good reason. The pop of acidity is a great accompaniment to the salty and creamy flavors. I went the traditional route with some sweet gherkins, but also used some pickled okra. Any picked vegetable would make a great filling: asparagus, dilly beans, etc. My 1953 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook suggests adding chopped olives to the cream cheese and horseradish mixture. That sounds delicious too!
Make prosciutto roll ups a part of your next picnic or party!
- Twelve pieces of prosciutto
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ teaspoon horseradish
- 24 pickles such as sweet gherkins, okra, etc.
- Combine the cream cheese and horseradish to make the spicy spread
- Cut the prosciutto pieces in half
- Spread prosciutto with the cream cheese and horseradish spread
- Wrap the prosciutto around a pickle
- Pierce with a toothpick
Salty meats, creamy cheese, spice, and vinegar. What more do you need?