Halloween is almost upon us, but there’s still plenty of time to conjure up a quirky pop-culture inspired costume. These four retro Halloween costumes are an easy mix of vintage and not so vintage items, and you might just have many of them hanging around your house already.
Audrey Hepburn’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s outfit is a Halloween classic, and it is so easy to put together since most everyone has a LBD. Why not make it a little more interesting and vamp it up a little?
Although you can buy repro necklaces that are similar to Audrey’s, I made by own with a thrifted faux pearl necklace, and made a pendant with a large Rhinestone earring. I purchased the barrette on Amazon: (Yeshan Rhinestone Barrette). The black leather gloves are vintage.
- Lips: Mix of NYX Sweet Pink Rose Doux and NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Rikugien
- Eyes: Ardell 10 False Lashes; Clinique Olive in My Martini and Clinique French Vanilla shadows; Tarte eyeshadow in Prowl from the Sex Kitten Eyeshadow Palette; Tarte black shadow for liner; Maybeline Great Lash Mascara in very black.
- Brows: TARTE Amazonian Clay Volumizing Brow Powder in Blonde.
The beauty of a Nancy Drew costume is that you can pick any decade between the 1930s and today, and just go with it. I was inspired by the late 1970s TV version, and paired a vintage leather jacket with a contemporary skirt and boots. Grab a magnifying glass and a vintage book about ghosts, monsters, or mysteries, and you are good to go.
Griswold’s European Vacation
Don a black beret and grab a friend or three, and you can be the Griswolds on vacation! European Vacation is my favorite, and it’s a super easy costume if you put together a few 80s accessories.
If David Starsky had a sister working as a detective in the suburbs of Bay City, she would probably be called Starskette. Okay, I totally made that up, but it’s a good excuse to recycle some Starsky costume components from previous years. I could have gone with my “me made” Starsky sweater, but I decided to do something a little different and wear my vintage Posh leather jacket and Starsky sneakers. Well-worn jeans and a t-shirt complete the look. I purchased the sneakers on Amazon last year. They are no longer available, but these are similar: Adidas Originals Mens Dragon OG Fashion Sneakers
- Eyes: Same as the Audrey costume
- Lips: Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain in Shanghai Sizzle
- Wig: Kamo 26″ Dark Brown Spiral Curly Cosplay Costume Wig from Amazon
What are your plans for Halloween?
[This post contains some Amazon Affiliate links. See “About” for more information]